tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 119 Posts
It does get better.

Several things...

What others have said about the timeline and process is spot on. The days are long but the years are short.
​​​​
There will come a time when disappearing for a morning-long ride really isn't a burden on the spouse, because the kid(s) can feed and entertain themselves that long.

Also:
It's a joy to ride with my teenager. It's a too-rare shared experience, low pressure, and opportunity for conversation, in which she sometimes shares more that usual.

So far I'm looking like 1 of 3 in terms of kids really enjoying biking. One never knows.

The best, most magical, teamwork experience biking with a child? The tandem bike. With a kid back attachment, they pedal too, and in sync with you. The sense of pride they get when showing strangers that they can pedal the whole bike by themselves is great (my feet visibly sticking out). Everyone comments and gives praise to the child.

The pedalling tied together keeps them motivated and interested. They can do it earlier than you would have guessed. And you can feel when it's switched from them also pedalling to you moving their feet for them; they need a break and snack.

Tandems have their own logistical and financial challenges. The tandem forum here was helpful.

When mine were small, I was fortunate to have flat bike paths near our home. I could ride with one adult and three children, 90 minutes the long way to a playground, snacks and play, then 30 minutes home the short way.

Nothing else got done that day. But watching three kids, nothing was going to get done excepts keeping them happy and alive and hopefully finding shared joy.

The double-double:

Each kid progressed through the stoker position, pedalling in sync with daddy and learning the teamwork.
Likes For tgot: