luns

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Richbiker
OMG People . . . .
I'm still using the SAME Zefal Husky pump, which works fine, except for the leaking valve head. I've nursed it along all these years; perhaps I found a way to keep the worn out parts going, or at least not leaking so much.
So I go to google the same problem, and turn up this thread; I read through stuff, scroll up and back a couple of times only to discover ... I STARTED this dang thread!
Thanks for your replies. I will try to use the links you provided. My employers distributer may have the right parts. COVID has caused a lot of parts shortages, as I'm sure youo all know. This shouldn't be so hard , but the bike industry is just terrible at standards for doing the same thing that fits the same size (like it shouldn't be that hard to replace the rubber seals; it shouldn't be that hard to replace the entire head; or it shouldn't be that hard to replace the entire hose). But ... IT IS!

I will give credit to Zefal though ... the Husky has just lasted forever ( I bought it thru Bike Nashbar probably in 1989). No leaks through the barrel or hose, except for the valve head. Meanwhile, my company buys pumps from major brands that cost just as much and they are total crap-- too much plastic, and too much leaking between the barrel, hose and valve).
I don't know how broadly this was true, but back in the day (80s-90s), I understood the Zefal Husky to be just a re-labelled SKS Rennkompressor. I don't know if this still true or not - I have a hunch that more recent Huskys (probably from around the time Walmart started selling Zefal branded products) might not be SKS pumps - but older pumps likely are.

SKS lists replacement parts. You can check RENNKOMPRESSOR - SKS GERMANY (sks-germany.com) and see if any of the heads match yours. I'm going to guess you may be looking for part 3203 - the seal for the thumb-lock head.

Some digging shows the part is available at SKS' US site at Grommet for Pump Head – SKS USA (sks-us.com) apparentlly for $4.99 with free US shipping. I won't look for a better deal than that. If your Husky is an SKS, I think whatever head you have, parts are available not far from this page.

There seem to be a number of replacement heads available which you might even prefer over your existing head, some with hose, newer ones optionally so (older heads were crimped on and not available separate from the hose). The classic schrader head on the hose end that I presume you have, including the schrader/presta adapter is $17.99, again with apparently free shipping. This sounds like a pretty decent deal to me, considering it has fittings for both ends crimped on nicely. In contrast with Silca wanting $20 for a 3 ft piece of 3/16" Continental hose cut from a reel, packaged with two Oetiker clamps, plus $12 for their simplest schrader hose fitting, and no fitting even available for the pump end of the hose, the SKS hose seems like a bargain!

Last edited by luns; 11-30-21 at 02:56 AM.