Old 01-22-22, 05:01 PM
mibike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
The 60CSX does not have a convenient mount available for it. That is why I asked how you were going to mount it. Sounds like you already had that figured out.

I was curious. I pulled the batteries out of my 60CSX, plugged in a USB cable to it and to my computer for power. It would not turn on. These Garmins are not supposed to be able to put any charge into the AA batteries, so it would have surprised me if it did work.

It takes a mini, not a micro USB cable. Use that cable to transfer routes, tracks, maps, etc., to a computer.

Some of the newer Garmins can operate with a USB cable, but they must have a NiMH battery pack in them to do so. The USB can recharge that battery pack while it is opearting. My Garmin 64 can operate that way, I recharge the batteries in it on bike tours with my dynohub and pass through cache battery pack.

The 60CSX pre-dates that rechargeable capability. I also have a Garmin 62S, that also pre-dates the ability to operate on a USB. I have to swap batteries in that to use it.

The Garmin 64 and a few other models use this battery pack, those models can operate while plugged into USB power.
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Rechar.../dp/B00B1QUF8O

But that battery pack will not allow a 60CSX to operate on USB power.
Powering the GPS and recharging the batteries are two different things. My Garmin 64 and every Garmin I've ever owned that has a USB port will run with USB power. This is true with or without batteries and regardless of battery type.

Ones like the 64 that are capable of charging batteries will only charge the Garmin battery pack. Or other NiMH batteries if you cheat the system.

If you try your 60CSx plugged into a wall charger or powerbank I think it will work. A lot of Garmins default to data transfer mode when plugged into a computer and will not operate while in this mode.