View Single Post
Old 03-20-22, 04:13 PM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
I don't always write about my "extra" monthly centuries, but this was a bit more noteworthy. A group of students from Texas State University had originally planned to gather at Austin's Veloway Park. The park includes a 3-mile circuit with tight turns, some modest elevation, and one punchy climb. Though the student group cancelled, I was already psyched-up to be checking out the wheels-only track for the first time.

While it's only about 35 miles from home, most of the roads are chock full of auto traffic. The worst few miles are high speed highway with only modest shoulders. Everyone I passed in the morning was headed away from Austin, while I seemed to be the only sucker headed in. At about mile 28, though, Highway 45 offers a fully separated multi-user trail, which is especially handy as the road turns up a 7% grade climb to "Escarpment Road". I eased up a bit, as the Veloway was just a few turns (all bike lanes) ahead.

I had meant to take some better photos of the course, but I -- just -- couldn't -- stop. The circuit really isn't made for all out attacks, as the turns are too sharp; rather, the course is more about precision cornering, sticking the line, and of course, some courtesy to the slower riders. All told, I did 10 laps before calling it good. (I knew exactly how far it was from home!)

I didn't stop for much to eat, except on the way home; a couple days of hedonism during the local "Spring Break" had me well rested. When I started getting weak -- around mile 75 -- I stopped for some M&M's and a fried apple pie; it was enough to keep me going smoothly, but not quickly, into the strong headwinds. I got home much earlier than expected, surprising myself both for minimizing stops and keeping a good pace. Mostly though I am excited to add a new route to the list, with a great destination -- the idea of a potential group ride out to the Veloway is hard to resist.
Likes For Bulette: