Old 01-24-05, 05:54 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Here is what I wear on my 25-35 minute commutes when it is 0 to 10F (-12 to -18C).
AmFib Tights
PI Toasties Booties (with SmartWool socks underneath)
Moutain Hardwear Balaclava & Headband
Oakley Double-paned goggles
Underarmour ColdGear shirt
Wool sweater
Nylon shell
PI AmFib gloves w/ Mountain Hardware liners.
Everything works well except for the gloves. Unfortunately, the limit of the PI AmFib gloves with liners seems to be about 10F (-12C) for me. Below that, I have to stop every 10 minutes to warm up my fingertips. It seems that my fingers start to warm up by the end of the trip, but I'm only out for 25-35 minutes. I should really test the gloves on a longer route, but I am worried about frostbite.

So, northern commuters, what do you use on to keep your fingers warm when it is 0F (-18C) or less? How much do they cost and where can I find them?

For 20F-30F commutes, I ditch the booties, the wool sweater and the goggles. Depending on conditions freezing rain, wind, etc.), I wear either the Mountain Hardwear headband or balaclava.

For 30F-50F commutes, I open the vents on the nylon shell. I replace the amfib tights with PI fleece tights . Depending on whether its raining, I either use the amfib gloves or the Mountain Hardwear liners with fingerless cycling gloves on top.

Last edited by Daily Commute; 01-24-05 at 06:13 AM.