Old 02-10-21, 01:30 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
The next step for me, before getting into the rust-affected paint, is doing a "mapping out" of where I'd be willing to start paint / show chrome on the bike. The clean edge of the tape closest to the dropouts is that point. Some very small imperfections or corrosion specks I have allowed, at least at this point. I'd like to show as much chrome as possible, within my aesthetic standards and goals, so I am starting at this point to give myself options, and can "shrink" the chrome "window" if need be. Note that there is no symmetry at this point. That will come later.

Obviously my thoughts on the fork lend themselves to basically leaving the dropouts chrome and painting the entirety of the blades. That could include the crown as well, making the fork having the most (chrome) to "lose" in this restorative effort.

I may be favoring the drive side chain stay's chrome a touch, but it's a justified position. I'd like to keep it for tradition's sake. Thankfully the non-drive side has good chrome, so I can do symmetrical "socks" if I want.

Frame and fork all together, which will help the brainstorming process. I will create a few inspiration/reference image collages later tonight so you can get an idea of what I'm considering, but for now, feel free to weigh in with past Medicis as precedent, chrome treatment of frames of this era, etc.
Suggest overlay a drive side crank to point the chainring overlap. the chrome termination behind the big ring might be best.
I would retain the drive side chainstay chrome. Retain the dropout faces in chrome. Have to think about where to begin paint at the end of the chrome.
I have a Masi Prestige with a chrome chainstay, will have to double chech how they did the transition to paint.

I also would retain the crown chrome if good enough, paint to the dropout faces.
Or, having a fork redone is not as traumatic a deal.
Medici went to full chrome forks pretty early on, easier to inventory... follow the Colnago leader...

I would introduce primer / sealer to the top tube cable ports with a brush before starting to spray.

decide on the utility of the pump peg. Secure a pump before you spray, so it can be color matched if desired. Test fit.
that pump peg is my least favorite looking feature, there are other nibs that look more attractive.