Old 09-09-19, 11:22 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
Agreed.

There’s a book out which speaks to this entitled “Cheap-The High Cost of Discount Culture” by Ellen Ruppel Shell which is on my reading queue. Have you read it?
I've not read it but the UK has similar issues to the US except a far smaller economy and much more controlled by larger economies and we have built up debt, a trade deficit and had a large percentage of assets go into foreign ownership which
often happens when you have a trade deficit and the exporting countries have surplus sterling or dollars to spend and invest them back into the country buying up businesses etc. Like the USA the UK has had a fairly stable economy for a long time and
the population are not economically literate and don't seem to understand the huge debts that are being built up. I'm not sure Trump has all the answers but at least he recognises the problem and the danger of running a trade deficit long term and building up huge debts. We don't have that recognition in the UK with all 3 major political parties being utterly clueless I feel on how to run a successful economy. Sadly the UK economy will be facing huge issues within the next decade or so as the debt level becomes unsustainable and there is a huge drop in living standards. We have no Trump style politician in the UK, Boris is a champion of free trade and is happy to keep borrowing creating huge debts for the future.