View Single Post
Old 02-12-22, 03:00 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
One the one hand, people really shouldn't be intruding into or going the wrong way in the bike lane, so it's easy to see why he's frustrated.

On the other, the reality is that there's no such thing as a consistently clear path through a dense, chaotic, urban environment. Designating a bike lane (and in NYC telling cyclists they must use it) tends to create a sense of entitlement to a path forward, that's just not realistic in such an environment - no one else in the city realistically expects their path forward to always be clear. Notice he's already moving a lot faster than other traffic, and doing so in a narrow channel where his approach is not particularly visible to those who might cross it.

Being on a bike nicely minimizes one's contribution to traffic congestion, but short of building elevated or underground bike highways, it's just not going to realistically isolate someone from the reality that they're travelling through a city chock full of so many people trying to do so many different things.

The lanes he's in were never designed to be a high speed passing lane for vehicle traffic congestion; they were designed for those afraid to interact with drivers at all, and willing to exercise the caution at every intersection made necessary by being in an unusual place on the roadway.
I agree, he has a right to be frustrated, I know I would be in that environment. There were definitely a bunch of people not looking where they were going and/or going the wrong way. Developing decent cycling infrastructure in that kind of congested city is definitely a tough nut to crack.

When I worked in Norfolk, I lived in Virginia beach, which gave me a 23-mile ride to work (one way). Virginia Beach was at that time (mid to late 90's) a difficult place to cycle. However, I did find some really nice routes after investing in a city map -- ended up being a fairly nice ride to work. I wonder if one could do a similar thing in that area of NYC....I know I'd be looking for some alternate routes.

Likes For work4bike: