View Single Post
Old 07-22-22, 11:58 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Dude, what do you want? That’s not what the manual says for MY derailleur. ‘Cause THEY’RE DIFFERENT! So if you’re not going to use the manual for your particular RD, then my advice is NOT GUESS, but size the chain on the bike.
How are derailers DIFFERENT!? Shimano derailers for mountain and road use the same method of determining chain length. The two rivet or two link (or add an inch) methods work in the vast majority of cases. In fact, I haven’t seen sizing of the chain addressed in the derailer manual. It’s addressed in the chain manual and the suggestion is the simple one presented above.

I’m not the one guessing. I use a method that works for every bike I’ve ever installed a chain on…and I’ve worked on thousands of bicycles.

But go ahead: teach your “aspiring mechanics” to count links, run internet formulas, divide by the square of the root, use two small screwdrivers and any other methods you deem simple enough for your non-reading mechanics to comprehend. Geeze…
I’m not doing all that. Nor have I suggested anything that is complicated. You want something simple and effective. I agree. I can explain it to someone in less than 30 seconds. I can explain it in far fewer than 1000 words. And it is relatively easy to remember. My “aspiring mechanics” and I have better things to do than go look up everything every time there is a question. That’s a waste of their time and mine. As an instructor, I want to have people learn how to work on bikes but I’m not going to frustrate them by saying “go look it up, I’ve got better things to do”.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!