View Single Post
Old 07-24-22, 07:02 AM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
I'm curious if anyone has compared the different methods to see if the result differs?

Suddenly I can hardly wait for the next chain to stretch beyond spec!!! So far I think we have the following methods:
1. Match the number of links/full links/half links/rivets (whatever your nomenclature) of the old chain, which may have been sized by one of the following.
2. Big-big plus two links/two half links/one full link/one inch/two rivets (again, whatever your nomenclature) with chain NOT routed through rear derailleur.
3. Small-small, chain routed through derailleurs, with enough tension on derailleur cage to take it off its maximum take up.
4. Big chainring-small cassette cog, chain routed through derailleurs, rear derailleur cage pulled to vertical position.
5. Mathematical formula which I'm too lazy to recite and is my least favorite right now. So concrete. Where's the art?
I believe the caveat for at least some of these methods is that the largest cassette cog cannot be more than 36? And of course I have a number of RD manuals to read to see if Shimano has been consistent in their methods. I'm totally Shimano except for a couple of old Suntours. I wonder if they had manuals?