View Single Post
Old 01-06-23, 07:30 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
The Gitane TdF is a PERFECT frame to convert to fixed or single-speed use - and I can attest that the ride is sublime. I purchased mine, a c.1971 example, for $50 as a frame, fork, headset and bottom bracket, then spent double having it shipped to me. No regrets. It has become my first choice go-to grab-and-go bike. It was originally meant to be a beater fixed-gear for family beach week use, and it's been all over Edisto Island, North Myrtle Beach, Garden City, etc. as my early morning Dawn Patrol ride. Current parts spec is Nitto Technomic Deluxe stem with mod. 176 bars, SR LaPrade seat post, original Stronglight P3 headset with a Zeus top nut, Dia-Compe Blaze aero levers with electrical tape repairs to a torn hood, Weinmann Carrera sidepulls ($10 on the 'Bay), Kogswell hubs laced to MA-3 rims (I traded for those), Stronglight 93 cranks with the inner ledge shaved down some and a single 45T ring, Phil Wood BB with French mounting rings, MKS Sylvan track pedals with Christophe clips and ALE straps with buttons and pads, Panaracer Pasela 28s, and a B-17 I bought 22 years ago that has graced several different road fixed-gear conversions through the years. As seen it's set up for a Dawn Patrol ride with generic battery LED lights. Somehow, this is THE smoothest running, quietest, most surefooted mount in the stable. I suspect you will love yours.

Likes For rustystrings61: