cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Please do follow up. I wanted some 16" TPU tubes but it seems like the only company making them is in China. So I held off.
Well, I received the 2 TPU tubes I ordered on June 29.
Received on Sat, july 23, the ship label shows they were shipped from china on July 4.

Ride Now TPU Tubes 28 (700c) x 23-32
Mounted on my HED Ardennes wheels with Rubino Pro 23s, exactly what was on before, with 95g butyl tubes.
I did cut and add some extra 'valve cuffs' from scrap butyl tubes. It's what I use/do to protect the valve area from cuts by the rim hole - about 1" square with small hole for valve in center.
Package claims the TPU tubes weigh 36g... i guess...
Aired up to 75 psi front, 78 psi rear, same I used for the butyl.
rode fine, but they do make the tire a bit more 'firm', at that pressure.
Next time I ride these wheels, I'm going to air them at 70-72 ish front and 74-75ish rear. I like a little more 'compliance' these days...
FYI - I weigh 142 lbs, bike prolly is at 18.5ish lbs with a full water bottle.
Overall, tubes seem to be holding air well.
One issue is airing up - I use a foot pump, my trusty 45 yr old Silca Piste pump which has a newer 'locking' head which works both presta and schraeder.
One tube aired up fine to 80 psi, the other tube would only air to 60 lbs before the head blew off. I think it's because the valve stem is smooth plastic, and the only thing resisting the head from coming off is a slight widening of the valve stem where the valve core screws in... had to use another pump, whose pressure gauge I don;t trust as much (used my Jayco pressure gauge to check...)
so 1 out of 2 will be a PITA for using a foot pump.
It's prolly not an issue if you use a compressor or CO2 cartridges...
I had used for a long time, the Ultra Light Maxiss tubes, about 65g each. They worked well and gave a solid 1 - 1 1/2 yr of service before wearing out.
Valve stem is threaded, but this tube is often sold with the valve core (Maxiss special core - MVS) sold separate, but valve core can be transfered to next tube...
They were good tubes and weren't any more flat prone than your std lightweight tube...
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-26-22 at 06:09 PM.
Likes For cyclezen: