Old 11-21-22, 08:13 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by kommisar
I have a old road frame with a newly installed 44T big ring double crank. My old front derailleur was designed to work with a 53T big ring and I cannot move it low enough on the braze on to get close to the new 44T chain ring. I thought a clamp on might work but the seat tube flairs out below the braze on. Does anyone know of a braze on FD that works with a 44T ring?
More info would be helpful, and is probably necessary.

1. Make/model of existing FD.
2. Make/model of existing front shifter (road and mountain indexed front shifters reputedly have different pull ratios). From your description, I'd guess you have a road FD and shifter - but we don't know at this point.
3. Make/model of frame and/or bike.
4. Distance from bottom bracket center to center of braze-on mount hole/slot.

Pictures would also help immensely.

The last dimension is needed because a FD will almost always need to be raised/lowered from its existing position to use a different largest chainring. Given that dimension, it might be possible for someone here to calculate how low your FD needs to be to use a 44T chainring (no guarantee on that). Since you have a braze on fitting, depending on its configuration and type that will limit how low you can lower a given braze-on FD (this is one place where a picture would be especially helpful).

I'm probably missing something. But remote diagnosis needs all the info it can get.