Old 11-22-22, 06:12 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by kommisar

That photo's pretty telling. If the large chainring in that photo is 44T, I'd guess you're going to need a "dropper bolt" of the type about which JohnDThompson posted photos and links above to use that FD (and possibly to use any braze-on FD) with a 44T largest chainring on that frame. In the photo that FD is at the lower limit of the braze-on frame fitting and still appears too high.

I couldn't easily find the relevant specs re: min largest chainring size supported for your Campagnolo FD, so I'm guessing that may also be a potential problem. (The specs are probably out there, but I'm not at all familiar with Campagnolo equipment or where to find their specs; that's probably why I couldn't find them.) As Andrew R Stewart noted above, you may run into problems with that FD if you're using it with a much smaller chainring than it was originally designed to support.

Friction shifting for the front means you don't need to worry about indexing incompatibility for the FD and shifters. There are many FDs out there that work with smaller front chainrings in the 44T range, mostly MTB FDs. But as noted above, I'd guess that for most of those that are dual- or bottom-pull you'll also need the dropper bolt.

The suggestion by rccardr to use a triple FD (Campagnolo made a few) would IMO also work. In that scenario you could also install the outer chainring, set it up as a triple with a 44T middle chainring, and only use the largest chainring on level ground if at all. Aesthetically it would be the nicest solution IMO. But that scenario (triple FD, triple chainring) might well require a different BB or spindle length to get the proper chainline.

Your bike, so your call. Best of luck.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-22-22 at 06:18 AM. Reason: clarification