Thread: Bar tape
View Single Post
Old 11-29-22, 10:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I do a full revolution with the tape hanging about halfway off the end of the bar (however much is needed to make the plug tight), then fold it in and stuff the bar end in after it. Seems to do a pretty good job of holding the tape in place, at least after I get one more revolution down.

Agree with no adhesive. Not only does it gunk up the bar (I know it's hidden, but still), but it also makes it difficult to unwind a little to make adjustments or fix a mistake. I can get picky and want both sides to have the same thickness and number of turns.
I like the adhesive, because I'm forever misplacing the electrical tape or the shears I use to cut the angled end up by the stem, and I have to step away and find them, and when I come back, with the adhesive I only have to redo the last loop. But I could probably make do without it. I find that the adhesive on the Fizik tape I use isn't terribly sticky, so unwind/rewind is not that much of a problem.

Cinelli tape, OTOH - the adhesive is too strong and the tape itself too weak, so that if you're trying to adjust the wrap any time down the road, the adhesive tears up the tape. Luckily Cinelli tape is cheap - I use it for the first wrap after a build, so that if I later decide I need a different bar or stem, I'm not out the cost of good tape.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: