Old 04-26-22, 06:41 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
owner of the shop I worked for had one, via Bertin. Seat lug ear tore out. Finding a repair facility back then was slim and none. Bike was a flexible flyer. Lots of work to make that fork!

Teledyne for its part, added an external sleeve to the upper 3" of the seat tube- the seat stays were welded to that, a bit cleaner welds than the Speedwell. There was a German builder, speedbicycles.ch has an image set, that one had wild webs at the bottom bracket to help control flex.
I didn't realize that any Speedwell frames made it to the US. A shame that the seat lug ear failed... did someone just throw a hose clamp over the top of the seat tube as a fix? Titanium forks are hard enough to make suitable stiff, especially when having to deal with dimensions that were developed for steel tubing. I can see the desire to market a fully ti frame and fork, though.

The Teledyne Titan was moderately successful, and as noted, did try to compensate for having to stick with standard dimensions. Bicycle Guide did a nice article on the development of the Teledyne frame. I'll post the first two pages. If there is interest, I'll post the remaining four pages.

Steve in Peoria

Likes For steelbikeguy: