Old 06-04-22, 07:01 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 629 Posts
Soooo... I took care of some matters around the house and eagerly carted Bumblebee off to the trailhead at the Greenway. I affixed a pump peg for the black Zefal pump that works with Schraeder valves, attached the bag with the toolkit and spare under the saddle, and the one with my wallet and phone to the handlebars and set off. I gingerly negotiated the sweeping downhill with a sharp left under the bridge - being respectful of my less than stellar brakes and the jogger who was just a bit ahead. I tested out my shifting (yay! medium and high on the Sturmey Archer 3-speed were dialed in) and was just establishing a cadence when phone rang. It's my wife from far away, so I stop to take it. Chat for a bit, put phone back, put foot on pedal... phone again. Wife again. This one is shorter.

Start to pedal and there noise and resistance that I shouldn't be feeling from the rear. I look down in horror to see that the rear tire has unseated. Who knew 65 psi was too much for those old steel rims?!? I came to a stop and decided to lower the PSI some and get the tire re-seated. The front seemed to be doing fine at 60 psi, so piece of cake. The instant I lifted the bicycle up to invert it. BANG!

Yes. I did raise my voice. I don't think the people a couple hundred yards off time-trialing heard me though, and when they did pass by me I was too preoccupied to give them a disapproving look.

Now I generally have no problem with changing tubes, but this thing has a coaster brake and the head on the bolt is beyond strange AND the wrench that fits the rear axle is 0.17 miles back in the vehicle. I walked Bumblebee back to the car, took stock of what needs to be done differently for the remaining 99.83 miles, and called it a day. This evening, I changed everything out in preparation for tomorrow when I hope to try again.