View Single Post
Old 07-08-22, 12:53 AM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 182 Posts
Challenge complete! I actually finished on Saturday, but I had some work to finish and an exam to prepare for so I put off posting until now. I decided to finish off the challenge with a bang by attended the monthly Saturday ride for C&V folks. Roughly 56 miles (for me) of descents, climbs, and flat out pedaling. I started off pretty badly, since I arrived late to the meeting point. In a rush, I eventually caught up to the group but I was pretty spent. I bonked out on one of the climbs, so the last couple of miles were spent performing the walk of shame, and SwimmerMike was kind enough to wait for me the entire time. Not one of my greatest rides, but at least I completed the entire ride. I believe that brings my total up to 155 miles.
Some pictures:

Late to the meeting point.

Rest stop. Perfect time to ogle other bikes that are nicer than mine.

Celebrated the ride and completion of Clunker Challenge by regaining the calories I lost.
Over the course of 155 miles absolutely nothing went wrong; I certainly got my money's worth. The TX700 rides well, handles well, and is eminently practical, which is something I really look for in a bike. It's not the fastest bike, but that's more an issue with the engine powering it. The quality of the frame and components are excellent and will last with basic maintenance. The Trek will definitely be a keeper.

Cost breakdown:
- 1977 Trek TX700 - $40
- F/R racks - $30
- fenders - $0
- new chain - $0
- single pannier - $5
- handlebar bag - $0
Total: $75
Likes For philpeugeot: