Thread: Your First Tour
View Single Post
Old 07-27-22, 08:49 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
My first tour was with a buddy of mine when we were about 13. I was an overnighter of 32 miles total and it wiped us out.. I vowed never again. Well 53 years later I tried it again.
I started biking again about 10 years ago when I got into mountain biking. I liked mountain biking but it is brutal the way I like it. about 5 years ago I built an electric bike and suddenly fell in love with the idea of biking for fun. The e bike suddenly took on new meaning as a means of going great distances. Being a top level engineer and capable of building anything I wanted, I set out to build a long-range e bike for the purpose of touring. That was four years ago. I just needed to solve two pressing problems. One was a saddle that I could ride for that long. I zeroed in on the Infinity saddle and that solve that issue. The other issue was I liked off road touring and that is what I built the bike to do but I could not get past using colorful adjectives to describe the various camping gear items. It's difficult to motivate oneself when you use PC incorrect cuss words in front of various needed items. I needed to get beyond that and have a more favorable adventurous attitude to be able to bikepack. I am excited this year to not have a bad attitude about the gear and therefore decided to invest some money in decent gear.

I started touring in the spring of last year and did four tours last year. I picked up a riding companion that makes it so much nicer to tour. I now have a four-pound toy poodle that loves to ride everywhere with me and is fantastic company.
This year I have toured one long weekend because of health issues. Those issues are behind me for another couple months so it's time to pick a place to go for a week. Really comfortable for me is 80 miles a day. doable for express touring is 120 miles a day and maxed out is 150+ miles.