View Single Post
Old 08-03-22, 05:45 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
I've only toured twice, but apparently I am the bringer of storms.

Ohio To Erie '21 - I had a busted spoke 20 miles in on day 1 which sidetracked us for an hour while we found a mobile mechanic who could meet us (all bike shops were closed in the area on that Sunday). 45 miles after that, still on the first day, I had the world's loudest blowout and couldn't hear out of my right ear for two days after. I was ready to give up. I adjusted my attitude and we pressed on. On day 3 we got caught in a wall of water that just didn't seem to end. After realizing that rain gear only works in light rain, and not while basically being waterboarded, we just decided to ride in it. Ended up being kinda fun! This is what the radar looked like at the end...

GAP '22 - we had heard rumors of a fast-approaching storm that was 25 minutes out. We were in Frostburg, about 2.5 miles from a tunnel, and my dumb ass decided our group could make it. Uhhhhh...NOPE! Another big wall of water, temperature drop from 80 to 55 immediately, gale force winds, HAIL, they even blew the tornado sirens. We found 5% refuge under what I hoped was a very sturdy tree until the worst of it passed, then rode (in the rain) to Borden Tunnel where we waited for another hour and a half...no radar pics of this one since we had no service in that stretch of the GAP.
Likes For a_d_a_m: