Old 08-07-22, 11:02 AM
ThisJustIn

Bikes: Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker
I have used several GoPro cameras over the years. I started out using a Hero 7 Silver but wanted better audio so I moved up to the Hero 7 Black which I think I bought on Swappa.com. One problem with the helmet mount is the weight of the camera adds up over a ride which might cause neck muscle sag. Another issue is sound which the camera above your mouth picking up your voice can be difficult. I tried various microphones attached to the camera mounted below my outfront computer mount and that worked okay but the video shots weren't always where I wanted them. Then I bought the Hero 10 Black added the microphone mode and put the camera in my jersey pocket pulling it out for shooting but this was slow and sometimes I missed the shot. I searched around for a quick release mount and found one on AliExpress that puts a Garmin mount on the GoPro and then I added a Garmin mount to my handlebar. Now I have a fixed camera for some shots and a hand held camera for other shots. The microphone mod picks up the sounds better too. You can see my videos at my YT channel YouTube.com/c/RickAnkrum The empty mount on the handlebar holds the GoPro.
Thank you for your informative reply! I had not considered camera weight as a potential contributor to neck pain. I will likely duplicate your set-up of Garmin mount with GoPro following this. However, I have seen other cyclists with a helmet/mount combo that was quite discreet and light looking, which is appealing. I imagine though that what they're using is quite pricey :/

Also, will check out your YT vids 😎