MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I believe it may be the best thing we can do for our overall health, especially as we get older.
Just a 4 min. video from one of the leading experts on longevity.
No. Calorie restriction makes the worms and the mousies live longer in the lab, but in humans living in the wild, the beneficial effects are impossible to separate from weight loss, and incidental diet changes. Also, most of the lab studies have calorie restricted the animals from an early age. With regard to fasting specifically, again, it makes people healthier, but one would need an "iso-caloric" control group fed the same diet on a conventional schedule to show that the effects weren't due to just eating less or better.

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Sometimes

Balance of mTOR and AMPK pathways

Can't or shouldn't always eat like a pig and shouldn't also be catabolic all the time.

Skinny old people live a long time but are frail. Fat young people may be strong but they die early. A good balance can lead to a longer healthy lifespan. Fall and early winter would be when I would use various techniques to activate mTOR and lose weight, this time also corresponds to when any exercise would be low aerobic. I have no interest to live to 150 like SInclair but it would be nice to be strong, lean and have good balance and mobility into my late 80's and then just drink the good stuff and smoke cigars until around 95.
Those skinny old people, of which I am one, may not die from cardiovascular disease at the same rate as the general population, but they don't necessarily live a long time either. Low lean body mass is a strong (bad) predictor of all-cause mortality in old age, with a big effect size.

I think Peter Attia is a bit of a jerk, but I agree when he says he doesn't want to hear about nutrition from anyone who can't deadlift their own weight. I will reach that goal this winter if I don't hurt myself in the process, but I will need to eat a lot!

Last edited by MoAlpha; 10-17-22 at 01:18 PM.
Likes For MoAlpha: