View Single Post
Old 11-15-22, 08:14 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
I'm contemplating doing something similar. My rides are typically multi-surface, and can have a lot of rough singletrack.
it would be nice if I'm riding some extended rough stuff to drop a few psi (and know how much it is) and maybe even pump the tires up a bit later for road use so the tires don't drag too much. That might sound like a bit much, but I feel like it would be good for really long rides, like a 70 mile one I want to do which will have lots of gravel and singletrack.

Dave
I do a few gravel rides with a group and lots of people do this. We have around 10-15 miles of paved riding to get to the trails, so people will start out with higher PSI and then air down at the last stoplight before we hit the dirt trails. Most of the time people are just ballparking it, but occasionally someone will bring a gauge.

I also do this very thing with CX practices. I'll ride paved roads/trails to a park and then do hot laps/practice with a group in the park on grass. I'll leave the house with 40-45psi and then lower to 25psi when I get there (or lower... this is a good way to experiment with where "the limit" is for CX pressures). Some other people usually will drive and meet us there, and usually someone has a track pump that they'll bring out, so I'll use that to air back up before heading back home.
Likes For msu2001la: