View Single Post
Old 01-24-23, 10:22 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Run and jump fast twitch athlete all my life. College basketball player. I got Plantar Fasciitis in my early 40s. Couldn't get rid of it, so I quit golf, basketball and the other court sports. Then I became a cyclist. My wife had became a runner. She wanted me to run also. I said I'd never run a 5k or more but I signed up for one. The cycling/running cured the Plantar, but that is for another thread. Then a 10k, then a half marathon on St. Patrick's Day. Then she wanted to try multi sport, but no swim. So we signed up for an Olympic duathlon in June of the same year. I also had a climbing century planned in May. She had done her 1st marathon the previous fall. Trained with a team and enjoyed it. A coach on her team was giving a presentation on the training team at my gym. I went to the presentation. I thought since I'm training for the other stuff, I might as well give the marathon a go. Signed up for the team. That first 5k was in 2010. In between that time, 16 marathons, around 50 1/2 marathons and lots of 5/10ks have been ran. St. Patrick's Day is my birthday, so the Shamrock 1/2 in VA Beach is the first "official" event of each year. Best after party you'll ever attend. Still cycle and do that same climbing event each May. Training for the fall marathons begin each June. I sprinkle in other running/cycling events throughout the year as well as the occasional tri. I won't lie to you. I'm a mediocre endurance athlete. Middle to back of pack. Very rarely ever make it into the top 50% of my age group. Who cares! You have to do what you can to keep your exercise fresh and fun. The key is fun. Don't fret over your results too much. Just go out there and do it because you can. One day you won't be able to anymore.

Last edited by seypat; 01-25-23 at 07:02 AM.
Likes For seypat: