View Single Post
Old 01-25-23, 04:45 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
That is what Uber XL is for. Riding the same routes do get boring but is still Zen. Have you considered riding gravel? I recently started and it has brought back the same sense of exploration that I had when I first started road cycling.
Uber XL? Been there, done that, quite a few times. Worst part is when I break down in places with no cell service and/or no cars allowed. Thankfully, since those in the mountains, I got to coast down (except for the one time wheel went out of true due to a broken spoke).

Do not have room for another bike.

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
too old on this end to hang with but always willing to destroy the body on interminable climbs. but yah...time for a gravel or mtb in your cycling world. you're a 20 min drive from a world of durt hurt and adjacent to enuff
off-road to fill the days you can't be bothered to throw the bike in the car. you could also mix in some trail/cross country running and preview cycling routes or vice versa.
You know that I do not have room for another bike. If I was able to ride gravel without needing a car, I would have gotten a gravel bike by now. It would take me more than a 20 min drive to get to gravel. All the trails by me are closed to bicycles. BTW, back into serious rides in late March, including finally doing the route down to you.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I don’t know your body size/type…but depending on your weight, marathon running/training might not be the best for you.

Frequently open water swimming. So you might consider some open water swimming for you challenge. Try to find location where scenery is compelling. You may enjoy it.
I am tall and slim, so have the body type for it. The age is creeping up though! I grew up in lower-class neighborhood in NYC. No pools in the hood! Tried to learn to swim quite a few times, but never got it. So, no triathlons for me!