Old 09-20-22, 05:24 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
[...] I added 15 cents of gasoline to my stove fuel bottle directly from a gas pump. [...] I also added diesel directly from a pump, that was when I learned that my stove and diesel number 2 did not like each other.

I didn't know that you could get minute quantities of fuel at the pump. I recall some gas stations *not* selling in quantities of less than $5. Which is why I was asking.

[...] in most or probably all states in USA, red is for gasoline, non-red for kerosene
hmmm... not sure if it is enforced here, but the VAST majority of jerrycans are red (and plastic). I've seen green (metal) jerrycans in Oz, for diesel.

[...] I have a primus that I think consumes about 5 grams or maybe more to prime it
Priming multi-fuel stoves (waste, time, risk of failure if you can't ignite the primer) is THE reason why our WhisperLite gathers dust and will, probably forever. I am still working on improving my workflow. BRT3000 + Olicamp XTS + cheap Alcan windscreen + keeping the burner at a very low output level, I get two cups of water hot enough to make tea/oatmeal/ramen on a measly 3.7g (73% efficiency). This is a counter-top, room temperature trial, still, I'd how to be able to do my thing on 10g/day. Which raises the question of "system design" (ex: carry a 100g canister in a tiny pot + a 450g reserve from which I'd refill the small canister -- would reduce waste and allow me to travel with a smaller pot. VS a larger pot in which a 225g (i.e. regular size) canister is nested. Impacts what else is stored in the pot (ex: no mug), etc. etc. etc. Will keep me busy for a little while