Old 03-10-23, 06:25 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
UK May-June v0.2

I'll be coming from Calais (France), landing in Dover (UK).
  1. Northbound EV12 up to John O'Groats (unlikely to have enough time to push north to the Shetlands, although it might motivate me to ride longer days....) (in red)
  2. Southbound along the JOGLE (Cicerone route -- thanks for the suggestion) to Bath, and then improvising a route to Portsmouth, and ferry back to Cherbourg (in light blue)
Q&D plan suggests 3300 kms over 33 days. I can perhaps find a couple of extra days in order to have zero days in the bank, so this seems reasonable (especially since Cicerone suggests legs of 100-130 kms)

Two questions:
  1. Inverness - John O'Groats is more or less along EV12 in both directions. What about the coastline (clockwise or counter)? Not safe?
  2. From what I understand, Scotland allows wild camping. Different story in England. Tons of caravan parks all over the map but few campsites. Will caravan parks allow me to pitch my (tiny) tent on their site for a reasonable price? Is warmshowers a better bet?
I'll read any suggestion/comment with interest (sorry for the over sized pic. Q&D gpx imports on Google Earth...)