Old 07-04-20, 11:19 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I suspect it is possible to get it through surface transfer, but I am not very careful with door knobs, etc. But I do not go indoors anywhere other than my condo without a mask on, and I minimize how often I go indoors anywhere. But right now, my county in Wisconsin is the hottest hot spot of the state, so right now i am being extremely careful.

I think road traffic is almost as high in my area (Southern Wisconsin) as pre-Covid now. I noticed a gradual increase in traffic in Apr though May. The first organized tour I did with a group was the ACA Glacier Waterton loop in 2012. I used my taillight in flash mode every day. On the first few days, I was the only one. By the end of the trip (a week later) a couple others had started to use their taillights in flash mode during daytime. Now, eight years later I even see people using flashing taillights on their bikes on bike paths. I think that most bicyclists are starting to get serious about road visibility. One guy I know used to always ride in cool weather with a black cycling jacket, but not any more, now he only wears fairly visible jerseys and jackets. I get nervous about being on roads that are full of vacationers, I usually time my tours to leave somewhere just as they are starting to get busy, I prefer the roads when there is less traffic.
Well I guess upper-Midwest folks are known for liking the outdoors & getting the most out of summer-time. In DC area traffic has ticked up a bit in the last 2 weeks but nowhere near the normal near-gridlock. Recently at an LBS I was pleasantly surprised to see that many of the helmets offered are in hi-viz colors...always thought it was dumb to wear a black helmet.

That NPR audio bit about surfaces was interesting. Every fall the MSM does stories about flu & vaccines but I've never seen them claim surfaces were a problem.