Old 07-06-20, 01:24 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
Are you aware that a growing number of states are reinstituting a 14 day quarantine?
For some states there is a list of restricted states, other states have a blanket quarantine.

I suspect cops will stop any touring cyclist and ask some pretty tough questions.
And I also suspect that small townfolk along the way will not be thrilled to see you.
Fines up to $10,000.
For now, most of the quarantines are imposed on air travel (or possibly sea travel for Alaska and Hawaii). Have there been any reports lately of state troopers or sheriffs attempting to enforce these quarantines? I'm discounting the two month old stories of Texas Rangers stopping cars with Louisiana plates on the interstate -- even then, the word was you could get off the interstate and drive into Texas on the nearby U.S. highway without being stopped.

If so, I'm curious how they're handling bike tourists. Using the absurd premise that Texas or Arizona residents are suspect disease vectors just because of their residence, how would you handle a bike tourist who's riding from either of those states to Pennsylvania or New York? It would take me a lot longer than the 14 day incubation period to get from the Texas state line to the New York state line. (Although I might be able to make it from Arizona to Wyoming in that length of time.) Similar questions dog quarantining long haul truckers (the ones with 16 more wheels than what I drive); if a trucker's been on the road for a month, are the locals going to keep him out of the state? Even if he's got a load of food or medical supplies?

And have the Midwest or western small towns become so frightened that they're turning away paying tourists now? I was a Cassandra for predicting that possibility a while back, has it come to pass?