Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Exactly .... I am not saying everyone should do this ... as Mr. Eastwood tells us, "A good man knows his limitations ... "

But ....

If I cannot tell when it is safe to signal a car to pass, it would imply that I cannot safely drive a car. And, While i assume many of us lived most of our lives car-free, as I did, I also assume we all learned to drive, drove occasionally, and drive often to get to places to ride too far to ride to ....

So yes, I have no issue deciding what to tell a driver. What the driver decides ... depends on whether s/he is staring at the phone, or the nav screen.
I find it odd that some cyclists have an aversion to communicating with motorists. We do it regularly when we drive our motor vehicles. If I am on the interstate and see a trucker ahead of me signal a lane change, I'll flash my lights to let them know I am ready for them to come over. I have waved faster moving motorists around me on two lane back roads. If someone needs to enter the road from a side street or parking lot, I may flash my lights at them or wave them on. So the idea that it is somehow not a good idea to communicate with motorists while we are riding our bicycles seems strange to me.
Likes For Paul Barnard: