Old 10-23-20, 08:45 AM
berkleydriskill

Bikes: 1960s Roberts Cycles Track Bike, 2006 EAI bareknuckle, 2020 6ku urban track, random others built and sold between

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by vintage cellar
That frame dates from the 1970's and I would bet it was imported by Cycle Imports in Cornish, Maine. They were a Roberts importer / distributor, along with other bike parts and framebuilding supplies from Reynolds and Columbus.

The number 14 stamped into the Track Ends is probably just a painters reference # to keep the correct fork matched with the correct frame. Very necessary when dealing with multiple frames from multiple builders.

Roberts of that era were very nice frames. If it were mine I would strip that awful, porous clear powdercoat and get it "properly" painted and decalled. I think Franklin Frames in Ohio do a great job for pretty reasonable prices.

Enjoy your new bike !
I took off the fork last night to see if it was stamped as well and it was. Listed as #414 . I agree about the paint. I am still researching to confirm it as a Roberts. If I can, I will most likely have it powder coated solid white as most of the early track models were this color. I've been able to locate decals that were used by Chas Roberts in the 80's and 90's, but no luck yet with the earlier versions. I have a friend that does pinstriping and custom hand-painted signs, so I might have him do the badge.