View Single Post
Old 04-08-21, 02:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I had hoped it would be a while before I added to this thread but sometimes fate says otherwise. Just got back from my second ride on this bike and now have some feedback on the construction, specifically the rear triangle. I took quite a fall off the edge of a climbing ridge, "chose" the wrong side to loose it on As you will see the rear end is now close to an inch off center. In the violence the SunTour crank soider folded ove with the large ring. That bit was from the tree that stopped me from the full 25' of vertical drop. The 6" diameter tree has a serious chip taken out of it about 4' off the slope's surface (which was about 45+ degrees). Once again I find that it takes bad luck to see what good luck I have. My helmet is slightly indented on the back, I have a few leaks of blood and my knee is being iced as I write this. I expect tomorrow I will discover other soft tissue issues. I was only a half mile in so the hobble out wasn't too bad.

Here's a few shots of the damage. rotors, rims, rear der, levers, seat are all fine. I thing it was my body that was the force that bent the frame against the tree, given the impact bruise on my upper thigh (a few inches to the right and I would have not gotten up anywhere as quickly as I did). I knew I would be revisiting the "paint job" but not so soon. My plan is to remove the seat stays and arched yoke and do a DeKerf like yoke attached to the current mono stay. Oh well, another learning experience (actually two including the fall off). Andy