Old 04-18-21, 09:25 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by gilmo789
The short answer is not a lot, but I am fairly mechanically competent and I know how to move the torch around. I think, at the moment, i'm unwiling to do it because all I have is a Bernzomatic MAPP torch so I dont know that I can get enough heat in it, and the flame is a bit unweildy..
My long winded response could be boiled down to Practice 1st if you are determined to try it. If I was going to anneal some part of a good frame, I would definitely practice 1st. And I have more years of brazing experience than many posters have been alive. I've got tons of different torches and tips (to help students find their preferences) but probably I would choose one of my rosebuds (they come in different sizes). A rosebud has multiple flame holes that provides a greater volume of heat. They can be used with either acetylene or propane. This allows you to hold the flame further back covering a wider area without the need to dance the flame around trying to get even heating (the problem I mentioned in my previous post). In other words a big soft flame is easier to control then a small hot one. I don't have any experience to know if a mapp gas hand held torch has enough power to work well. You won't be sorry making the extra effort to do a practice. You might be sorry just going for it hoping for the best.