View Single Post
Old 06-17-21, 10:14 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by tn_roadie
I'm really trying to find out if any cities are banning e-bikes from greenways or MUPs.
New York City explicitly bans e-bikes from the Manhattan waterfront greenway. The west side greenway is my standard route home from work, and I see the signs every night. I won't be back on the greenway until Monday -- I'll try to grab a pic then.

The ban is controversial. Banning the "pedal-assist" bikes may be an overreaction to the extreme out-of-control behavior of the other classes of e-bikes, especially those favored by delivery riders, and especially of riders of what are essentially road-going Vespas with electric motors.

But the situation isn't good in NYC.

As I said above:

What's going to happen is a backlash. The delivery riders are, as I said above, out of control. They are dangerous to pedestrians and to other cyclists. One more pedestrian trying to cross the street is going to get knocked over, maybe even killed, by a delivery rider going way too fast, in the dark, without lights, the wrong way, and there's going to be a massive crackdown. Which is never a good thing. There will be bad behavior on the part of the police department, restrictions affecting all riders will be legislated (and enforced, when the NYPD decides to get back to policing the city), and it won't be good for anyone.
Likes For Inisfallen: