View Single Post
Old 07-21-21, 06:09 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Terms "low" and "high" are subjective enough to where comparisons are hard to make. I've found that high trail and/or high wheel flop increases 'self steer', the tendency for a bike to want to keep steering into the turn without user input. Most "road bikes" are in the 55-65mm range for trail (though anyone could argue a different range depending on how you define the "road bike" segment). Gravel bikes and bikes designed for looser surfaces often have slightly more trail, maybe 70-80mm (dual sport hybrids often fall into this range). Mountain bikes often have trail even higher than this. I once had a Giant ARX that had about 100mm of trail. It drove so strangely that I returned it. I just didn't like how it rode. My lowest trail bike is a 1970 Peugeot mixte. It has a pretty steep head tube angle (something like 73 degrees) and a fork with a very high offset (something like 55-60mm). So the trail is somewhere in the 40s. That's one of my more fun bikes to ride. Not from a speed perspective, but from a more fundamental "this bike is enjoyable to drive" perspective. My Trek MultiTrack 750 has something like 65mm of trail and it's also very enjoyable to ride.