Thread: 42x18
View Single Post
Old 07-25-21, 09:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
You did 40mph downhill on a fixed gear? Or are your fingers fat?
I've done mid 40s or faster in a 42x17 many times. (As a 20 something ex-racer with "issues", I used to ride up Oakland's Juaguin (sp) Miller to Skyline Blvd, turn around and ride down. 4 lanes separated by a park-like median. California. I never got passed.)

Years later and much older, I've had cars pull alongside and tell me I'm going 35. On easy descents in Portland. I still go much faster coming down from the Portland west hills. My commuter is geared a little higher. 44x17. My racing spin is 40 years gone.

Way over 200 RPM is easy with training, lots of fix gear riding, plenty of high speed descents around and really good foot retention.

I use toeclips, quality leather toestraps and slotted aluminum cleats in good condition. Toeclips because if I do pull a cleat out at 40MPH plus, my foot is still in the straps and with the pedal. It's a heart-stopping moment, not a life-changing injury and crash. The pedal striking the Achilles is going to be more severe than the following crash. I don't do these fast descents much now but I am 68 years old. The cleats - Exustat track cleats; the ~$25 ones. Take any 3-bolt shoe. As good as (or better than) the best of the pre-clipless days. Don't use pedals with aluminum rattraps. The aluminum cleats will eat them.
Likes For 79pmooney: