Old 01-12-16, 02:17 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Thats fantastic to hear it hasnt limited your job prospects or advancement. Its also great to see that you are so mobile in life that you are able to simply move to accommodate a job.
Please recognize that your situation is far from the norm.

People often choose where to live and where to work in separate points of life. When one changes, they often times dont also change the other. I live where I live for the location during my life outside of work. I work where I work because the schedule, pay, and benefits fit my wants and needs. They arent in the same location and it isnt realistic to be car free because of family obligations and the work/life choice I have made.

Again though, I have found that around me, those who I know to be car free/car light are able to be that way due to lifestyle and because it works out for what they do as a job.

On a related note, I am not sure how you can say your career hasnt been potentially limited since perhaps you could move up in pay and responsibility at another company who is 40mi away. A car = mobility for many.

With that said, If my job were within realistic bike commuting distance and I wasnt responsible for getting kids from after school and to activities, I would certainly not touch my car as I already try to not use it as much as conveniently possible. But that comment is also like me saying that if I could jump another 10" and had better lateral quickness, I would have played pro basketball at some level. Only 2 things are missing, but boy are they HUGE key things!
So, can you speak to what you have done in order to rely less on cars? (You certainly don't need to apologize for needing to use a car, but the topic is to talk about ways of needing one less.)

"Think Outside the Cage"