Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Maelochs

I'm sure you are well rehearsed with the monstrosities I bragged and flaunted (or rather, forced my way into bikeforums with..) such as the GT and Norco Monterey. There's an interesting story behind this. After getting from 245 back to 220lb on a size medium Northrock costco mountain bike special, I started a long journey back down to 180 something lbs before maintaining steady at around 190lb.

Even once I maintained a reasonable weight, my bike fit continued to change. There is no set spacer height or degree of stem angle.. just a rough starting point regarding handlebar stack/reach and a general trajectory i follow as my body adapted to this reasonably challenging, reasonably aggressive riding position.

Example with my Felt XC bike -.felt like stock 90mm stem +7° got my stack reasonably in check, but not reach. Flipping the stem reversed this. Went to 110mm +10°. Loved the handling and fit until I adapted and realized that the stack was far too high. Flipped back around to -10° and could not believe how natural and even comfortable this bike road, set up in a way which less than a year ago I would have regarded as a complete monstrosity.

I've got it all planned out now with my KHS.

Eventually, id like to settle with 100mm angled aggressively downwards with the degrees and at a pretty low stack with both my bikes.