Old 03-28-21, 10:37 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Crazy to think that the standard weight of various Travellers is well north of 13kg. My '85 Trek 620 is just 1cm shorter with a slightly longer top tube and longer chainstays, and that came to 11kg on the nose. Granted, 32H non-touring wheelset (7400 hubs, MA2 rims, slender butted spokes) and "33mm" (30mm actually) Soma tires do a lot to help the weight issue vs. the 36H heavy, wide touring rims, 36x2 straight gauge spokes, and ~35mm anti-flat touring tires. I'd say there's an easy 1-2kg right there. The rear wheel lock, kickstand, and rear rack also add a good bit of weight. The Deore LX crankset has some weight over my triple-ized 7402 cranks, and that rear cassette likely outweighs my 10-speed cassette by 100g. So now we can get an idea of how the weight delta comes to be.

Looks like you have a lot of elbow grease and paint love to give on this one, Jacco. Super fun project. I'd be curious to see what the frame, fork, and headset (together) weigh. My 620 was a little north of 3.5kg, and I (at least) know that anything with Miyata in the name or build contract meant the frame was stouter than most. Even if this Traveller is a double FM-1 tubing (frame, fork) combination--the best!
Well, I was curious as well so I put it on my kitchen scale today. There were a handful of small bolts still attached but here are the main weights for the WorldTraveller at least. I will give the Traveller a disassembly later this week. I wouldn't be surprised if that one was lighter.
  • Fork: 1090 grams (2.4 lbs)
  • Frame: 2911 grams (6.42 lbs)
  • Total (including headset): 4001 grams (8.82 lbs)
Which, for a touring bike... is fairly average I guess. For comparison with some modern frames:
  • A medium (58cm effective seat tube)sized Velo Orange Pass Hunter disc brake frameset with uncut steerer is 3995 grams or (8.81 lbs).
  • ... this is where I would add some more info if I could actually find frame weights of some of the more popular touring bikes like the Surly LHT or Kona Sutra LTD.
Compare that to the 1996 Koga-Miyata SilverAce commuter bike and you can tell this one is certainly heavy duty.
Originally Posted by JaccoW
While I did leave the headset on, I think 2105 grams (4.6lbs) for the frame and 872 grams (1.9lbs) for the fork is a fairly good weight for a size 63cm frame.
That brings us to a respectable 2977 grams (6.56lbs) for the entire frame with headset.

Last edited by JaccoW; 03-28-21 at 05:37 PM.
Likes For JaccoW: