Old 05-14-21, 09:56 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer find

I've been trying to resist buying more bikes but I couldn't resist this pristine 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer. It's a Dec. '72 bike by the serial number but fortunately it has the Schwinn branded Shimano crane GS rear derailleur which didn't go into production I think until '73 so the bike may be a '73. I believe the bike came with a campagnolo gran turismo in '72.

This bike is pristine. It looks a lot like it must have looked when it rolled out of the bike store in the early 70s. The parts are all original AFAIK, down to the toe clips and straps. The tires have been replaced and are new and very decent Kenda 27 x 1 and 1/4 tires. Even the brake shoes have been replaced and look to be dia compe grey matter brake shoes.

All I will have to do is overhaul the bike and replace the consumables, mainly the cables and housing. I love the pump with a recommended PSI chart showing 70-75 PSI as appropriate pressure for 1 and 1/4 gumwall tires. That's about right for a hookless rim. The gearing is well thought out as well with the 14-34 freewheel and 54/40 rings.