Old 12-22-23, 07:30 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 1,076 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
While their down quilts are over your spending limit, the synthetic is close. Couple hundred grams more in weight, long compresses down to 9.4L, and is 84" long. I was going to suggest just upping the R value of your sleeping pad, but no wonderkid sleeping pad is going to close the gap on a 50 degree quilt, unless you go with a serious sleeping pad liner, lol.

Enlightened Equipment
This post got me reading, searching and thinking. I ordered a Revelation Apex (synthetic) which arrived recently. Last night I did a trial run in a 50°F room. 6’ Thermarest pad, watch cap, long underwear, socks, “foot box” closed. I was apprehensive given the weight of the quilt but became impressed at how comfortable I was.

I’m 5’11” tall, 152lbs so no fat on me to help keep me warm. Ordered a 40deg “long wide” bag. I thought their sizing advice was quite good and I went a bit conservative. So, plenty long enough and plenty of material down each side which meant no drafts. About 1/3 the weight of my old Caribou sleeping bag and much warmer. I’m pleased. No real test drive until spring but my old Schwinn Voyageur will be carrying less load next year.
Likes For Prowler: