Old 01-17-23, 11:42 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
I was going to ask about heat. I didn't know anything about freeze off. I am removing it because it's extremely stiff and gummy when trying to freewheel. The chain is piling up when going backwards and the wheel is turning the pedals bigtime on the stand when on the stand. I was going to try to clean it with wd-40 while assembled by spraying and turning til it frees up and then lubing. I guess I could do this on the wheel but it will be messy.

After the comments I am becoming leery of this job but I have the tool on the way. This bike is slated for donation so it won't be the end of the world if I don't get it off.

Also, I had thought of trying my 18V impact. I have had some luck using it on BB's that I couldn't move with a breaker. The issue for me would be stopping quick enough after it starts moving.
Just dribble some kind of oil into the freewheel. Just set the wheel on the side and spin the freewheel. You'll see the part in the middle that does not move while the cogs are spinning. At the interface dribble some oil in there. I always use Phil's Tenacious Oil but I'm sure just about anything is fine.

WD40 is fine to loosen and clean things out but not as a lubricant. Use something like (or equivalent) a 30wt oil.

Last edited by HelpSingularity; 01-17-23 at 11:45 PM.
Likes For HelpSingularity: