View Single Post
Old 07-30-22, 10:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelman54
I usually put the freewheel tool in a vise, set the wheel with freewheel down and unscrew. As Mr. 66 mentioned they can be on there pretty darn tight. Take your time and I noted that you "made" a 2 prong tool. You need to make sure this tool is right and not sloppy so that it slips off the freewheel. Good luck.
Yup. Bench vises rule for FW removal. Used mine yesterday. OP, you "made" a remover? SunTour made very high quality removers and we still occasionally broke them. I wouldn't expect anything sort of that to work at all. Go online and find one or I bet Park makes one.

Edit: base2 mentions using the hub nut to secure the remover. If quick release, use it. (For both, remember to back them off as you unscrew the FW. When using this much force, forgetting the obvious happens, And man, is it hard to unscrew that FW against that restraining nut/QR!)

Bench vises - I bought my first house to have a place to bolt one to. In years of apartment life, I did just fine with everything else but living 3000 miles from my dad's vise just didn't work. Bought the house n September. By December, a 5" vise was bolted to a 1/2" 100# steel plate on the workbench. Straightened some frames with it. Next house - bought 4x4s, flooring plywood and 1/2" ply for the table. Vise bolted to it. In the first few weeks after move-in.

And what I didn't know back then - no bench vise? Do you have a local bike coop? They've got one for sure. (The remover also.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 07-30-22 at 10:47 AM.