View Single Post
Old 08-05-22, 09:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Srewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,621 Posts
RH drop out cracks are among the more common way a factory steel frame "fails" (not that cracks are common, just when they happen it is often there). As mentioned there are ways to fix this from a simple gusset, through welding the crack up and then complete drop out replacement. If welding is considered make sure there is no filler (most likely a brass/bronze) anywhere near the weld as welding and brass don't like each other.

It would be interesting to see a couple of photos but I've seen enough of these cracks to think I know what a photo would show. Without 10 posts the OP will have to either link us to a third party photo sharing site (I use Flicker) (and type in the link with "@" spelled as "AT" and "." as DOT" to get around the auto censorship this site uses) or post a shot to the gallery and ask one of us to repost that photo here.

By the reference of kilometers I suspect the bike is not in the USA. I would have hoped that if the dropout was cracked at the time of purchase that it would have been noticed long before those 1000K and been attained. Andy