View Single Post
Old 08-06-22, 08:57 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Thanks Andy. I'm still 9-speed and still friction. Went Campy because I will never ride those brake lever operated shifters. For this guy who firmly rests his fingers on the lever side to steady the bars as I remove the other hand to reach down for a water bottle or back for something in my pocket, Shimano levers - at least one crash before I re-train 30 years of habit.

So far, still on my Campy probably Chorus and Veloce wheels and the three+ cassettes worth of cogs look to go a lot longer. (And I love thjat that era Campy had one assembly of three cogs, 19-21-23 and all the rest were individual. Makes customizing cassettes easy. Love having three top cogs, 12m, 13 and 14, and being able to skip the next. I run 12, 14-whatever most of the time to have the big one to steady the bike coming down the Portland hills and one more useful middle cog.

But someday I'll probably have to grow up and get with it. And it doesn't look likely that Shimano will make a brifter for me so I might end up in a cable pull no-man's land and needing an Andy Stewart travel agent.