Old 07-29-07, 08:31 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
These mix and match threads seem to come up all the time here. There are plenty of combinations that will work "just fine". But my question is what is "just fine"?

If I am spending the money to buy a new group and wheels, I don't want a bike that works "just fine', I want my bike to work "BEAUTIFULLY", "LIKE A DREAM"... I want it to be smooth and quiet and shift so well that I sometimes have to glance down to make sure it even shifted. I don't want to have to fiddle with it or listen to annoying chain rubbing or chain wanting to shift noises in some gears and then have to over shift in others. I also don't want to ride behind someone who is satified with "just fine" and listen to their crappy shifting, noisy, clattering drivetrain. If that is what "just fine" means then I want none of it.

If you're in an emergency situation where you have to replace somethig and are, for some reason, limited in your options, then do what you have to do to get by. BUT...If you are starting from scratch, make a decision. Campy, Shimano or Sram. All three work very well and will give you what you pay for. I have my preference and everyone else has theirs. Either way-choose one- and stick with it on that bike. If you're going to lay down your cash, don't settle for "just fine". Expect nothing less that "damn fine".
Likes For Bob Dopolina: