Old 04-29-22, 03:08 PM
schwim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I ended up going with Sharktooth 38 & 48 tooth chainrings and so far, they seem to be a direct replacement and I'm glad to go down some teeth on the big ring. It resolved a lot of issues I was having with the FD height on the seat tube. The bike has an odd change in shape as it comes up and with the big ring, it was causing the FD to have to mount on the ovalized part of the tube, making it impossible to make it stay put. It will be a very long time before I need a larger ring than I have on it so it was a lossless swap.

I'm very unhappy, however, with the cross-chain performance. I know you're not supposed to ride in a cross-chain condition but this will be the first bike I've ever owned that I can't keep it from rubbing the FD when in either crossed position. I guess it's due somewhat to the short chainstay on the bike making the angle of the chain too severe to make it work. It currently rubs in full CC, rubs slightly in one rear gear away from full CC and I will sometimes hear a touch of rub when under a bit more torque in second gear from full CC. I am going to do a bit of reading before making any more changes to see if I can figure out a way to lessen the rub in those positions.

If I figure out any interesting info, I'll share it. Thank you all so much for your help!