Thread: Bridge Out
View Single Post
Old 08-31-22, 08:12 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Ahhh, Pittsburg. USA Appalachia is one of those areas where it seems like a total crap shoot every time. The locals will always give you directions by starting with "Well you can't get there from here!" and that is when the bridges exist. In some cases, the bridge exists but is in such poor condition it's been abandon with dirt piles at each end. Watch where you step. Bridges are almost always at the bottom of a hollar and the streams are mostly not wadable. Most of the time you can't get down the banks to them. Contractors mostly take out the bridge, not one lane at a time.
My definition of Appalachia is SE Ohio, SW PA, WV, Eastern KY and NE TN. An area where there is little grade work on roads, no shoulders, few guard rails, Big Coal trucks and no respect because it's assumed on those roads that if you are on a bike, you lost your driver's license to a DWI. I do love riding off pavement in those areas ON AN E BKIE. Everything is up and down, short and punchy.