Old 01-15-23, 09:00 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
People get nostalgic about bikes from their youth, even if they were W*mart specials. Safety levers were required by law so can be more a measure of the bikes' vintage than their desirability. And yes, when there are stickers proudly proclaiming "18 speed SIS" you know it's not going to be the greatest, but basic specification didn't stop us from having fun BITD.

Agreed - if they're going to be donated I'd just get them working properly, not worth the effort of "upgrading". Could be that someone prefers a "racer" to a mountain bike shaped object anyway.
Maybe but it is not a desirable bike, I am sure maybe someone would buy it but finding that person who has to have the bike from their youth is going to probably be a long process and won't get you much money. You will still see similar stickers to the 18 speed stickers, nothing really has changed heck we are still spec'ing 7 speed on modern bikes and not talking IGHs. Low end will always be low.

I don't recall ever reading if those levers were mandated by law. Generally they are found on lower end bikes from what I do recall but I am unsure about mandates but it is possible though this bike is from the 80s so past the 70s bike boom.

louky No don't it is a low end bike read the above. Yes you may get some money for them there are certainly people who have gotten max dollars from a bike that wasn't worth it but the bikes are better off donated and as is (or as little as possible for functionality) Unless the goal is to just donate money the bikes are a better item because they aren't money so they can't go to any overhead or anything like that they can be used as bikes or someone else can try to sell them but in the end they are better as bikes than they would be as money. If these were Paramounts or a higher end Schwinn the conversation would be hugely different but these are almost 40 year old low end bikes. Fine bikes, potentially very rideable but nothing desirable except maybe one or two people and finding that one or two persons interested enough to spend the money to make it barely worthwhile is a lot of work and not worth it.

Make sure the bikes work as decently as possible and give them away and you have done a good thing : )
Likes For veganbikes: