Old 04-04-18, 07:27 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Thank you all for your concerns, thoughts, and prayers.

An update ...

Rowan has a chest infection, which they are treating. These are not unusual when on a ventilator.
Rowan has a blood clot in his right shoulder and arm, which they are treating.

Those two things are only incidentally related to the main issue: Rowan's brain injury from the accident he had on March 22.

He has been in an induced coma since he was admitted to hospital on March 22 in order to keep him and his brain calm so that healing can take place.

They are just starting to ease the sedation off and he has been responding to voice (people calling his name) by opening his eyes a tiny bit. He's not seeing or focusing ... it's just a subtle little response.

They cannot assess him and his brain function until he is fully awake.

There is still a long way to go.

And I'm tired.

Meanwhile, I've got a heap of things to do regarding all this ... paperwork, forms, meetings, appointments.

I'm also continuing with my university course. My instructor has been very helpful offering me flexibility with my assignments.

My employer has given me lots of time off to deal with this. Plus my work colleagues have been very helpful with many things. I see one or another of them almost every day and am in daily email or text contact as they check up on me and assist me with various things. One day I do plan to return to work ... probably half days for a while.

And since the accident I haven't been able to face the idea of cycling. The accident wasn't cycling-related but it is what we do together, and we were just about to go into two weekends of long distance events. We were packing and getting ready to go.